top menu

Grants for Pupils

Children and young people attending school on a full-time basis may be entitled to receive free school meals.

Who qualifies for free school meals?

Children whose parents/carers receive any of the following support payments may be entitled to receive free school meals in schools maintained by the council.

  • Income Support.
  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance.
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
  • Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and their annual income does not exceed £16,190.
  • Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
  • Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
  • Universal Credit

How do I apply for free school meals?

Complete the MCC online free school meals application form by clicking here.

Please note: You no longer need to provide supporting documentation to verify your benefit entitlement, all we need is for you (the parent/carer) to complete all sections of the application and we will verify your benefit entitlement with the Department for Education and Welsh Government database.

How soon will I hear?

We are able to process applications received during the academic year within five to ten working days. If you are entitled to free school meals you will receive a letter confirming the date from which you will be able to claim free school meals.

Schools will be notified by us that your child is eligible for a school meal free of charge.

Do you provide a clothing grant?

The school clothing grant is only available for pupils leaving primary school, entering year 7 of secondary school, who are entitled to free school meals. For further information please contact the School and Student Access Unit on 01633 644508.

Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is financial support for post-16 pupils who wish to continue full time education in Wales. Application forms and advice is available from Mr S Bryant, Post-16 Pathway Leader, or directly from the Student Finance Wales website:

Travel assistance

Students who are over 16 may be able to get help with their travel costs. For more information please email our transport team at [email protected]

Other grants available

As well as the further education grants, there are extra grants available. These are:

  • Disabled students allowance, you can apply for help with extra costs you have to pay in following your course if you have a disability or specific learning difficulty
  • Special support grant is a grant for students who may be eligible to receive certain means tested benefits such as income support and housing benefit. The grant is similar to the Assembly Learning Grant and does not usually have to be paid back. If you leave your course early you may have to repay some of the grant
  • Parents learning allowance, this is an additional grant to help with course related costs where you have independent children
  • Adult dependants grant, you may be entitled to help if you have an adult in your household who depends on you financially
  • Childcare grant, this grant helps towards the cost of childcare for a student studying full or part time, (the LEA will only pay up to 85% of the weekly cost, £161.50 for one child and for two or more children the maximum grant is £274.55 a week (85% of actual childcare cost of up to £323 a week).

Grant applications can be completed online through the PN1 or PR1 forms.

Childcare grant applications can be printed online or requested from the local education authority.

Email: [email protected]

School News

HT Appointment

Many of you may be aware that members of the Governing Body have spent the last two days undertaking a very thorough recruitment exercise for a new Headteacher for Caldicot […]

Proposed closure of Mounton House Special School

Dear Consultee, Monmouthshire County Council’s cabinet agreed on the 6th March 2019 to commence statutory consultation on the proposed closure of Mounton House Special School with effect from 31st December […]

Operation Compass

Dear Parent/Carer Re:  Operation Encompass We have been provided with the opportunity to participate in a project, Operation Encompass that will run jointly between schools and Gwent Police. The vision […]