To meet the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 and the provisions of the Data Protection Act 2018, our school has compiled this Privacy Notice which summarises how we collect, store and use your personal data. The school’s Data Protection Policy is available on our website and provides further details on the steps we take to ensure compliance with data protection legislation.
Caldicot School is the ‘data controller’ for the purposes of data protection law and our Data Protection Officer is Mrs H Mock (see contact details below).
The personal data we collect
The school collects information about pupils and their parents/guardians when they enrol at the school and also at other key times during the school year. The types of personal data that we collect include:
- personal details such as name, address, date of birth, and contact details for parents/guardians and emergency contacts;
- characteristics such as equal opportunities information (used to prepare summary statistical analyses); medical information needed to keep pupils safe while in the care of the school; special educational needs information; free school meals eligibility;
- information on performance in internal and national assessments and examinations;
- information on attendance, behaviour and any school sanctions, to include disciplinary action;
- information about wellbeing interventions or the involvement of outside agencies with individual pupils where this is needed for the care of the pupil and safeguarding purposes;
- photograph of the pupil (published only with appropriate consent);
- CCTV images.
Why we collect and use this information
We process the information we collect in order to provide an educational and wellbeing service to our pupils. These types of activities might include:
- to support pupil learning;
- the monitoring and reporting on pupils’ educational progress;
- the provision of welfare, pastoral care and health services;
- to provide appropriate safeguarding;
- the giving of support and guidance to pupils, their parents and guardians;
- the organisation of educational events and trips;
- to inform the planning and management of the school;
- with appropriate consent, photographs of pupils are used in the school prospectus and website and other publicity;
- sending you information to keep you up-to-date with what is happening in school;
- ensuring appropriate arrangements for the use of ParentPay and the school’s cashless canteen system (this includes biometric data);
- to assess the quality of our services.
The lawful basis on which we use this information
Our main legal bases (as outlined in the GDPR) for using your information are as follows:
- processing is necessary for the performance of a public task (e.g. to provide an education and ensure pupil wellbeing).
- we may be under a legal obligation to process your information. Occasionally, we may also use your information where:
- we are relying on your explicit consent to process your personal information;
- we are processing to protect your (or another person’s) vital interests.
For further information on ‘legal basis’ and consent, please visit www.ico.org.uk
Collecting pupil information
Whilst the majority of pupil information you provide to us is mandatory, some of it is provided to us on a voluntary basis. In order to comply with the GDPR, we will inform you whether you are required to provide certain information to us or if you have a choice in this and we will explain possible consequences of failing to provide that personal data.
Storing personal data
To ensure the personal data we hold is kept safe, we have the following controls/limitations in place:
- The information will not be used for any purpose other than those stated in this notice.
- The information will be held within secure systems/locations, with appropriate levels of security.
- The information will only be shared for lawful purposes and with an appropriate level of security that complies with relevant data protection legislation.
- The information will be collected, stored and retained in line with data protection legislation.
Please also refer to the School’s Data Protection Policy and the Local Authority’s Retention Schedule which are available on the School’s website.
Who we share information with
The Welsh Assembly Government receives information on pupils normally as part of what is called the Pupil Level Annual Schools’ Census (PLASC). The Welsh Assembly Government uses this personal information for research (carried out in such a way that ensures individual pupils cannot be identified) and for statistical purposes, to inform, influence and improve education policy and to
monitor the performance of the education service as a whole. Examples of the sort of statistics produced can be viewed at: www.wales.gov.uk/statistics
The Welsh Assembly Government also receives information on pupils for the purposes of creating secure log-ins for the Hwb Platform.
The Local Authority uses the personal information collected via PLASC to undertake research. It uses the results of this research to make decisions on policy and the funding of schools, to calculate the performance of schools and help them to set targets. The research is carried out in such a way that ensures individual pupils cannot be identified.
The Welsh Assembly Government and the Local Authority receive information regarding national curriculum assessment and public examination results and attendance data of pupils. Your information may be also be shared with other organisations when legitimately permissible, for example with;
- other education and training bodies, including schools/colleges/universities that pupils attend after leaving us;
- bodies undertaking research on behalf of the Welsh Assembly Government and Local Authority;
- central and local government for the planning and provision of educational services;
- Education Achievement Service;
- social services and other health and welfare organisations, to include the police, where there is a need to share information to protect and support individual pupils;
- organisations involved in educational or psychometric testing;
- school photographers;
- SIMS (the school’s management information system);
- Cunninghams and Aramark for the operation of the cashless canteen system and school dining facilities;
- ParentPay (the school’s system for parents to make on-line payments for school trips etc);
- providers of classroom/homework and planner ‘apps’ (e.g. Milk);
- Evolve (database for organising school trips) and school excursion providers when applicable.
Pupils Aged 14 or Over
The information you supply will be used by the Chief Executive of Skills Funding, to issue you with a Unique Learner Number (ULN) and to create your Personal Learning Record. Further details of how your information is processed and shared can be found at http://www.learningrecordsservice.org.uk/learnparent/.
The School will ensure the lawful processing of data and, in doing so, will respect the rights of the individual which may include:
- the right to be informed;
- the right of access;
- the right to the rectification, blocking, erasure or destruction of your information in certain circumstances;
- the right to restrict processing;
- the right to data portability;
- the right to object;
- rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling.
For further information on your Rights, please refer to the school’s Data Protection Policy which is available on the school’s website or contact the school’s Data Protection Officer.
If you have a concern
Should you need to raise a concern about the way your data has been processed, please contact school’s Data Protection Officer or, if you are not fully satisfied, you may contact the Information Commissioner’s Office online at www.ico.org.uk/concerns or via their helpline: 0303 123 1113.
Caldicot School Data Protection Officer:
Mrs H Mock (01291 426436 or contact [email protected])
In this section:
Please see letter below which has been issued to parents: raffle letter to parents Raffle Prizes A family ticket (of 4) to see Newport Gwent Dragons 2 x Newport County […]
Carols in the Courtyard 2018
Please see attached. Sporting Activities 2018